Consider the questions below and write your answers down.
When we talk about digital communication infrastructures, which ones come to mind? Make a list and pick one that you would like to work with.
Regarding the norms and values of the infrastructure:
- What does the infrastructure bring together?
- What kind of interaction is afforded by the infrastructure?
- What does the design of the infrastructure render as valuable?
- Who has the access and agency to intervene in the making of the infrastructure?
- How do these norms relate to power hierarchies, gender, ethnicity, class or race?
Regarding the way these are manifested in the design of an infrastructure:
- What communication features can be used to interact with others?
- How do they shape the mode of conversation?
- What does the system emphasise?
- What does the system hide?